Welcome to the home of Beds SU ethical and enviromnemal efforts where you can find information:
- On our ethical and environmental performance
- How to get invoved in ethical and sustainble efforts
- On key prorities and polices used to guide the behaviour of the Union
- On our strategy and prorities in relation to sustainability
- On our key areas for improvement
In July 2016, we secured funding for an awareness campaign to use lifts rather than stairs which has now been implemented across all University campuses.
In August 2016, we switched to Starbucks proud to serve Fairtrade coffee and have dramatically increased the amount of Fairtrade coffee sold within our commercial outlets.
In September 2016, we closed one of our buildings with the highest energy output which has resulted in a dramatic decrease in energy assumption.
In October 2016, we implemented totally digital financial, engagement and human resources platforms dramatically reducing the amount of paper used within the organisation.
In December 2016, we implemented a new digital engagement strategy which saw the moving away from printed marketing and communications.
In January 2017, following market research, we discovered that 110,000 coffee cups on campus were not being recycled on an annual basis and have successfully campaigned for coffee cup recycling to be introduced in September 2017.
In February 2017, following the collection and representation of students views we secured recycling awareness road shows, better labelling of recycling bins and an increase in the number of recycling bins.
In April 2017, we secured agreement form the University to ensure coffee grinds will now be collected separately from September 2017.
We have identified the following as the top five most problematic impacts on the environment that we are looking to address:
1) The large volume of paper within he organisation
2) The non-recycling of coffee cups
3) The high use of energy within buildings
4) The performance of the university in relation to on campus recycling
5) The level of mileage claimed within the organisation