Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube

Support over the Festive Month 

Wednesday 02-12-2020 - 16:20

The winter break will be soon be upon us, and although things will still remain a little different for us all this year, we hope you will be able to make the most of the break and enjoy the festive season. At Beds SU we recognise, for some people, additional support may be needed during this time.

Here we hope to provide some useful information to you about which university services are available over the Christmas break, as well as a selection of charities and agencies that are at hand for those who need them the most at this time of year.

University Christmas closure and Support Availability

The university will be closed from Friday 18th December 2020 until Monday 4th January. Most services and staff will not be accessible during this time, however some support provision will be available.

Student Support – The University will have limited support staff available to help students with urgent matters over the Christmas break. Please contact (0)1234 400 400 for assistance.

Faith Support and Service – The University faith and chaplaincy team will be at hand right across the Christmas break. They are able to offer a listening service, food vouchers for those that need them and well as provide an array of help in moments of crisis. They are also able to provide details of other local services that can provide further support are required. Please see their pages for recourse and contact details (https://www.beds.ac.uk/faiths/)

Beds SU Advice and Support – Our advisors will not be contactable during the closure period, however you will find a range of resources online to help with everything from how to make an appeal or complaint to managing your finances and dealing with stress. Information can be found at www.bedssu.co.uk/besupported

External Support Services

The following external services may also be helpful to you. Many offer a wealth of information online, as well as their own provisions set out for over the Christmas break. Please check individual service availability  should you wish to speak to someone directly. Not all services will be able to offer this throughout the Christmas period.

For further information on support services local to campus click here

Housing, Accommodation and Financial Support

Citizen Advice (www.citizensadvice.org.uk) – Provides free, confidential and impartial advice on a wide range of issues. You will find support resources online and opportunities to speak to the team over the Christmas break. Please see their website for further details.

Wellbeing and Health

NHS - National Health Service (www.nhs.uk) – Providing a wealth of information online to help you take control of you health and wellbeing. The NHS also provides telephone service (dial 111) should you need to speak to someone about non-urgent medical advice or to check symptoms. In an emergency, always dial 999.

MIND (www.mind.org.uk) – A mental health charity that provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. Online support is available with opportunities to speak to someone at certain times over the Christmas break. Please see their website for details.

Student Space (www.studentspace.org.uk) – Provided by the charity ‘Student Minds’, Student Space is a mental health and wellbeing resource specifically for students. The website offers support articles for those worried about what might happen during the Christmas break, with advice on how to plan for and manage the end of term.

The Samaritans (www.samaritans.org) – If you are struggling to cope and need someone to listen without judgement or pressure, the Samaritan are able to help. You can get in touch to talk to someone 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year on 116 123. Other ways to get in contact are available on thier website.


Local Police – If you have concern about your safety or the safety of others, we recommend that you contact the police. Details of Police stations local to your campus can be found below.

In an emergency, always call 999.

Luton & Bedford Campuses

Bedfordshire Police
Website: www.bedfordshire.police.uk
Telephone (non-emergency): 101

Milton Keynes & Aylesbury Campuses

Thames Valley Police
Website: www.thamesvalley.police.uk
Telephone (non-emergency): 101

Birmingham Campus

West Midlands Police
Website: www.west-midlands.police.uk
Telephone (non-emergency): 101

London Campus

Metropolitan Police Service
Website: www.met.police.uk
Telephone (non-emergency): 101

Refuge (www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk) - A support service providing a free 24-hour helpline for women and children experiencing domestic abuse. Call 0808 2000 247 or visit the website for other ways to get in touch.

Related Tags :

More Beds SU Articles

More Articles...